Kyla recently moved from California to Wisconsin, which makes it pretty difficult for the entire OAM crew to get together…or so we thought!! Technology has made it so easy for people to stay in contact with each other, hear one another’s voices, and see crazy facial expressions no matter the distance between. We took advantage of one such handy internet tool for a virtual gathering! Through the magic of Google Hangouts we’re able to stay connected!
Now to plug Google Hangouts… it’s better than Skype. No need to pay an additional fee and you can easily connect with up to 10 of your friends all at once. There are fun effects, hats, sounds, and other interesting fun bits while you’re chatting away! And if you ask Tosha, you can even play Ping Pong!
It’s hard to keep in touch long distance, even for friendships. It’s kind of one of those “out of sight out of mind.” Which is a tough cookie in itself! With distance being a bummer between all of us, we are turning our frowns upside down and paying more attention to how we can be closer together even though we are MILES apart!
1. Google Hangout. As you can already tell, note picture after picture after picture it’s loads of fun and we barely had any issues with sound, service, or picture!
2. Snail Mail. Not Snail Male. (Because Male Snails are weird.) Everyone loves getting mail and it keeps the postal service in fast action. Get creative with your gal pales and send care packages, homemade cards, and fun little things you come across that makes you think of your girls! Post cards!
3. Texting. One of the easiest forms of communication. It’s quick and easy, and is just enough to say “Hi, I miss you friend!” You can even be sitting on the toilet and chatting with your friends. Even though we do that while chatting on the phone too…
4. Phone. It’s not too awful to chat on the phone. Sometimes it does feel like a chore, but the next time you’re doing dishes, going on a walk, or even driving (hands free for safety please!), call your girls and kill two birds with one stone. Plus, it’s a great way to make some awful boring times a little bit more enjoyable!
5. Vacation. Everyone likes vacation. Especially when you have a free couch to crash on! Drive, fly, hop, skip, jump, and do whatever it takes to hang out with the girls you love to love! Plus who doesn’t like a slumber party?!
Now you know how, let’s talk when…
Schedule time to talk to the people who are far, far away. Even though they find themselves in another town, state, or country, your friends can still be super supportive and fun to hang out with.
When you can accomplish the above list, no excuses.
In a bus, on a train, on the toilet (as mentioned), at the beach, on a boat, in the living room, at the post office, on a horse, in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, at a bar, on top of a pyramid, on a plane, in a closet, on top of the fridge, where you found Waldo, in a cabinet, underneath a bridge, Camp Anawanna, on a park bench, in the changing room, in bed, at the kitchen table, at Central Perk, on the coffee table, at work, Luke’s Diner, at your parents, on the balcony, at the zoo, Timbuktu, bar bathroom, on the farm, on a walk, Where the Sidewalk Ends, in your car, in your friend’s car, and other fine establishments, places, and on things…
We are sure proof of that! Our January Event, was the four of us, at our homes, some of us in our PJs, some of us Pant-less. Okay, maybe not but it makes for a good story It was fun to catch up, laugh like crazy, and feel like we were in the same room with one another.
Now, get on the horn, horse, typewriter, and get to work contacting your best gal pals! Oh and tell them we said hello!!!
One of our awesome friends over at A Happy Lass also had a great chit chat with her favorite gal pals! They are spread all across, Colorado, California, North Carolina, Boston, and Illinois! Check out their fun-ness here!