Disposable Pads No More! Reuse? Recycle?

We’ve heard of cloth diapers. But how you feel about a cloth pad?

It’s a reusable alternative from your ordinary pad AND they come in variety of colors. The pads typically last upwards 5 years of use! Imagine never having to roll another pad up in toilet paper ever again! Save money on toilet paper, pads, and tampons. It’s the green alternative to menstrual flow!

Since you’re not throwing these things away… All you’ve gotta wash them.

Step 1. soak (if heavy stained/saturated)

Step 2. then throw them in laundry! (Just don’t mix your white’s with colors!) Not bad eh?

Who’s up for some Lunapads? Would you ever consider using a reusable pad? Why or Why Not?!

Also – for an “inner” option, check out our Diva Cup Post!

XO – Kyla

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Healthy Livin', Lady Talk Forum, Welcome!

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

12 Comments on “Disposable Pads No More! Reuse? Recycle?”

1. October 23, 2012 at 9:32 am #

Er…makes me feel slightly squeamish…will take a little adjusting to the idea…but definitely better for the planet

2. October 23, 2012 at 11:00 am #

I’m greener than Kermit the Frog, but I don’t know if I could use them. It’d be ok if it were only a little bit and you were at home all the time. But if you had to change it when you were out somewhere, you’d need to carry it around with you somehow. Yuck yuck. And I know that through most of my period, I’m really glad to go to the bathroom and just get that thing outta there. And then you’d need some kind of system set up to soak them at home for a week. Yuck again. But even if you only used them sometimes like on the lighter days, you’d still be reducing your waste…

• October 23, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

My thoughts exactly… What’s next, reusable tampons?

3. sheargeniousfashioneasta
    October 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Well, it sure would save some money and they are cute!???

4. amommys2cents
    October 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

The fact that I’d need to carry the thing around blood soaked if it needed to be changed while I was out grosses me out so much. I don’t think I would ever use them.

5. October 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Love the concept but yeh i didn’t really think about when i would be out in the real world with them!! Its bad enough having tampon cringe when 1 flies out ur bag when u pull out ur phone or keys so i don’t wana imagine carrying one of them around!!! Sorry Mother Nature, try again!!

6. October 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Interesting concept. Since I am the type to use pads on light days or for backup, I don’t find it too squick-inducing. As for carrying it around, I rarely have to change mine during a work shift. If I did, a plastic bag would keep everything separated. I mean, I know tons of women that carry used tissues all over the place and don’t think twice.

So for me, they might be a viable alternative.

7. October 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

I might be the only one brave enough to give these a try ;) At home at least, and that would help cut down a lot of waste I create for this earth… I think it’s a great idea. As for reusable tampons… the ‘venus cup’ has already been invented.

8. October 23, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Around the house, I could see it as being fine. The problem comes in when you are having a heavy day, are away from home, and need to change them. Where do you put it? Do they make a discrete case to put them in that is also washable when you are on the go and can’t wash it right away? Also, if you are in a public bathroom and need to rinse it out, that would be very embarrassing. Not to mention, some people are germ-ophobes and would probably report you for rinsing out a pad in the sink. It could potentially cause some issues when used in public. Not everyone is going to be okay with it. :-/ I would totally use it at home though. You figure when you have accidents, you are suppose to soak your under garments before washing them anyway. It makes sense.

9. October 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

Woahh! I’ll admit, I’m a bit wary of these, but it’s certainly an interesting concept!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lady Confessions – Periods. What’s your favorite product? | Once A Month 4 Ladies - February 7, 2013

[…] How about the Diva Cup or the Reusable Pad? […]

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,793 other followers