Wow! How did I not know about quinoa (pronounced Keen-WAH) before? This protein-packed grain-like food is super yummy!
I found a recipe on Pinterest (you know OAM loves Pinterest – If you don’t know…then click here and here) that inspired us! It started Kyla and myself on a path to one heck of a delicious dinner we won’t forget. We enjoyed this dish while watching the season four premiere of True Blood (as if watching some hot vamps wasn’t good enough!)
We named our dish:
OAM’s Southwestern Cheesy Quinoa
Here is what you need:
- 1 1/2 cups of Quinoa (Check the pkg to see if they are already rinsed, if not, rinse before using)
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- Green Pepper – chopped
- 1 cup of Mushrooms
- 1 can of Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Philadelphia Cooking Creme – Santa Fe Blend
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Seasoning Salt (like my fav. Lawry’s Seasoned Salt)
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 3 cups of Water
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup of Milk
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (or more Kyla and I loooove cheese)
- Topping – Bread Crumbs or work with what you have. Kyla and I used a mixture of crushed Pretzel Crisps and Croutons.
- Additional toppers: Sour Cream, Hot Sauce, and/or Salsa
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add tomatoes, chopped green peppers, and mushrooms – Cover and cook 5 mins or until tender.
- Stir in quinoa and garlic – cook uncovered 3-4 mins, or until grains start to turn opaque. (They will not fully be cooked yet.)
- Add 3 cups water and season with salt and seasoning salt. COVER and reduce heat to med-low and simmer 15-20 minsor until most liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13×9 inch dish with cooking spray. Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. (Will seem a little “soupy”…don’t worry)
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and sprinkle top with bread crumbs and extra cheese. Bake 25-35 mins, (or until browned around edges.)
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, and/or hot sauce! Enjoy!